About the Young Entrepreneur Academy
The Young Entrepreneur Academy (YEA!) is the only one of its kind in New York City. Originally developed with support from the Kauffman Foundation at the University of Rochester in 2004, YEA!’s mission is to develop and deliver experience-based entrepreneurship programs to young people to:
- Enable them to transition successfully to adulthood
- Help them to pursue their dreams by harnessing their creativity and energy
- Help them transform their ideas into tangible enterprises that create economic and social value for a better world
- Develop the character of tomorrow’s leaders based on personal principles and values
- Enable educational institutions and Chambers of Commerce to provide successful and effective entrepreneurship programs for middle and high school students
- Create a culture of innovation in schools and communities across the nation
- Foster the entrepreneurial mindset in young people, educators, and community members
The United States Chamber of Commerce Foundation became a national sponsor and partner of the Young Entrepreneur Academy in 2011. Today, YEA! serves thousands of students, teaching them how to make a job, not just take a job. YEA! provides a focused introduction to the business world, combining a dynamic, proven curriculum with the experiences of local leaders of industry, community members, educators and entrepreneurs. The goal of all YEA! classes is for each student to successfully launch their own business.
Don't Just Take a Job - Make a Job!
YEA! guides students through the process of fulfilling their very own American dream. By bridging the business and educational communities students are taught by trained instructors, and are exposed to guest lecturers, successful entrepreneurs and mentors. Over the course of the program, students:
- Brainstorm business ideas
- Write a business plan
- Interact with business professionals
- Attend field trips for a behind-the-scenes look at local businesses
- Pitch their business plan to local investors for startup funding and the opportunity to advance to regional and national competitions.
- Legally register their businesses
- Participate in a local YEA! Trade Show
- Launch and run their own business or social movement
- Graduate from the program with lifelong leadership and business skills
YEA! classes will meet October through May, every Wednesday afternoon from 3:30pm-6:30pm at Staten Island Tech High School. There are no classes during regular school holidays and recesses.
10/12/2016 - Last Day Applications are Accepted
10/05/2016 - Admitted Student & Parent Orientation
10/19/2016 - Weekly Classes Begin
03/01/2017 - YEA! CEO Round Table
04/05/2017 - YEA! Investor Panel
05/05/2017 - National Competition (if selected)
05/24/2017 - YEA! Trade Show
05/31/2017 - Graduation
Student Selection Process
Staten Island High School students in grades 9 through 12 from public, catholic or private schools may apply for acceptance into the YEA! program by completing an application, which includes an essay and short-answer questions, school transcripts and letter of recommendation.
Once the completed application is received, students may be invited to attend an in-person interview. Acceptance into the program is based on all aspects of the completed application as well as the personal interview. Prior business experience is not required, nor is it required to have a business idea prior to the start of class.
Start as a student, finish as a CEO! High school students in grades 9 through 12 are eligible to apply. This program offers students the chance to:
- Develop hands-on entrepreneurial experience to launch their own business or social movement
- Connect with local entrepreneurs
- Pitch to a panel of investors for startup funding
- Gain confidence in their ideas, abilities and presentation skills
We offer two easy ways to apply:
Share your business wisdom with aspiring young entrepreneurs and help them get started on the path to success! We’re seeking expert professionals to volunteer their time as guest speakers, mentors, investors, graphic designers, field trip hosts, business plan reviewers, and more. The time YEA! students spend with adults who encourage their futures is invaluable, and you can play an important role in guiding our future leaders.
If you are interested in getting involved with YEA! and being inspired by your community’s great young minds, call (718) 727-1900 or e-mail Joyce Suss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download PDF Sponsorship Application Form.
For more information, call (718) 727-1900 or e-mail Joyce Suss at email@example.com.